Five Signs of Potential Spherical Bearing Failure
Triangle Manufacturing Company offers many different spherical plain bearing types. You can find our spherical plain bearings in many applications including: solar trackers, lawn mowers, industrial reels, evaporative coolers, food processing equipment, vending machines and more. Although Triangles spherical plain bearings are known for their long life-span, sometimes they can fail due to a long period of time, or you may not have the right spherical plain bearing for your application
Check out these symptoms of potential spherical plain bearing failure to diagnose your issues. Once you diagnose the problem, see our spherical plain bearing troubleshooting hints below.
SPHERICAL PLAIN BEARING TROUBLESHOOTING
The following symptoms are signs your spherical plain bearing is failing by lack of lubrication, wrong sizing or improper installation.
- Squealing and squeaking
- Smoking or a burning smell
- Constant misalignment
- Uneven wearing of the shaft or bushing
- Overall failure
PREVENTIVE STEPS OF SPHERICAL PLAIN BEARING FAILURE
The following steps will help ensure your spherical plain bearings are ready for the task at hand:
- Choose the right spherical plain bearing for your application.
- Choose the right bore size. A shaft that is too small or too large will cause uneven wearing at minimum and, at worst, complete failure and equipment damage.
- Be aware of the weight and speed restrictions of your spherical plain bearing. View our load data specification sheets for spherical plain bearings.
- Install spherical plain bearings properly.
- Keep up with routine maintenance and lubrication. View lubrication help.
- Choose the right spherical plain bearing material. Each material has properties that benefit many different types of applications.
If you would like more strength support for your spherical plain bearing, check out our flange mounts, pillow block mounts, Tri-Arms and more! Each mount is designed specifically to different application needs. To learn more about each assembled bearing mount, view our information sheets.
If you need help choosing your spherical plain bearing or you are not finding the right fit for your application, contact us today. Our engineering team is always ready for new opportunities and designs that can help you find your perfect solution.